The Prayer Shawl Ministry is a group of people who love to knit & crochet to create colourful, creative hugs for those recovering from illness, surgery or any one of life's ups and downs!
Reasons to knit & crochet:
- Take it With You: You can knit or crochet anywhere—waiting for appointments, traveling, really . . . anywhere!
- Multi-Task to Your Heart’s Content: while watching TV, listening to music or audiobooks, talking with friends, having a glass of wine, day dreaming.
- Enforces Mindfulness Meditation: Knitting is calming, relaxing, and keeps us centered because of its repetitive rhythmic movements, which can help prevent and manage stress, pain and depression, which in turn strengthens the body’s immune system. Even the most complex knitting patterns are repetitive, based on combining two stitches—knit and purl.
- Boost Your Memory: Studies show that side to side eye movements can significantly help boost memory.
- Reduce Risk of Dementia: One study of over 2,000 people 65 and older found that “regular participation in social or leisure activities such as traveling, odd jobs, knitting, crocheting or gardening were associated with a lower risk of subsequent dementia.”
- Slow Down, You Move Too Fast: In this fast-moving world in which we live, taking the time to do something that requires slowing down to focus on what you’re doing has substantial mental and spiritual benefits. Put down the iPhone. Pick up some needles.
- Knitting & Crocheting as Art: Go beyond knitting & crocheting things to wear and create works of art to display in your home.
The group meets the last Monday of each month at Knox United. If you would like to join this ministry or sponsor it, please let us know. We would welcome donations to purchase yarn (supplies). Contact is the Knox office 250 248-3927 or firstname.lastname@example.org attention Ronine.
We have blessed many shawls and presented them to those needing a warm "hug". Won't you join us?